Learn what you need to know to transcribe literary materials in Unified English Braille (UEB) if you already hold CNIB/BLC (formerly Canadian Braille Authority) certification in Braille Transcription or Grade Two Braille. This free course will primarily be of interest to transcribers, proofreaders and teachers of braille reading to children and adults.
- a self-directed course; help available;
- covers eleven topics with fifteen practice exercises, each of which is less than one braille page in length; answers included;
- available for access and download in print (41 pages) or braille (55 pages, 40 cells per line, 25 lines per page).
- participants are required to have access to The Rules of Unified English Braille (the Rulebook) which is available as a print pdf file or as a braille file from the ICEB website
By the end of the course, participants will understand the basic principles of UEB, be familiar with the most commonly used symbols, and know the Rulebook well enough to find and use the symbols needed to transcribe general material. This course introduces some basic technical concepts.
Upon completion of the course, candidates may apply to obtain a test to update their CNIB/BLC certification by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Rules of Unified English Braille (The Rule Book) available as a print pdf file or as a braille file from the ICEB website.
Upon completion of the course, candidates need to contact email@example.com to apply to write the test to update their CNIB/BLC certification.
Test fee: None - for those who hold Canadian certificates in literary braille (Transcription or Grade Two Braille Competency)
Note: Please provide your Literary Braille Certificate
Those who hold non-Canadian certificates in literary braille may request the CNIB UEB Update Test from firstname.lastname@example.org for a fee.
Test fee: $50
To register, please email email@example.com.