What is age-related macular degeneration (AMD)?

detailed medical illustration of the human eye and its components

AMD is an age-related condition that mostly effects people over the age of 50. It occurs when the macula is damaged.

The detailed medical illustration of the human eye above shows the different components of the eye; the iris, cornea, pupil, lens, retina, fovea, macula, optic nerve and vitreous gel.

The macula is located at the centre of the retina and is responsible for central vision. It’s what allows you to see fine details, like small printing in books, and recognize faces.

There are two types of AMD: dry AMD and wet AMD. Dry AMD is the more common type of AMD, accounting for about 90 per cent of AMD cases. The remaining 10 per cent of cases are wet, which is the more advanced stage of the disease. Once wet AMD develops, it can progress quickly.

Back to top of page