Find a Mentor
In the CareerConnect CanadaTM database, you’ll find many mentors with vision loss who have a breadth of knowledge, support and advice to share in their respective fields. You can contact them by email using an accessible web interface.(Find a Mentor) whose career path interests you. You’ll be redirected to AFB’s CareerConnect website and asked to register as a CareerConnect Canada user.
Canada Top 5 Employing Industries
- Trade: 2,694,300 Canadians employed
- Health care and social services: 2,084,600 Canadians employed
- Manufacturing: 1,727,900 Canadians employed
- Professional, scientific and technical services: 1,275,200 Canadians employed
- Construction: 1,270,700 Canadians employed
To learn more about Canada’s current employment rates and hiring industries,read the latest Labour Force Survey.
Did You know?*
In November of 2010, Canada’s employment rate rose to 92.4% - the highest it’s been in almost two years.
*Stats accurate as of December 2010
Other relevant resource:
Standards Legislation in Canada: to find Information about minimum employment standards in Canada in the private sector.
Labour Market Information: Answer your questions about jobs, skills and the availability of workers in local areas across Canada.
National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2006: Provides a standardized language for describing the work performed by Canadians in the labour market.
Trades and Apprenticeship: Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) works with key apprenticeship stakeholders, including provincial and territorial governments, to ensure an adequate supply of skilled trade workers and to enable them to practice their trade anywhere in Canada.
Disability Issues:Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) is responsible for a number of programs related to people with disabilities:
- Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits
- Enabling Accessibility Fund (EAF)
- Grants for students with permanent disabilities
- Multilateral Framework for Labour Market Agreements for Persons with Disabilities
- Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities
- Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
- Social Development Partnerships Program – Disability (SDPP-D)
Service Canada: Offers programs and services for people with disabilities
CareerConnect and CareerConnect Canada are trademarks of the American Foundation for the Blind and are used under license.