Local Programs and Services
CNIB’s community-based services empower Canadians who are blind or partially sighted to live independently – to see beyond vision loss– and lead the lives they want. The following services are available in PEI. For more information on the services CNIB offers across the country, visit our Range of Services page. Ready to get in touch with CNIB? Click here to access our services today.
Emotional and wellness support
Understanding and advice when you need it most
It’s not unusual to feel depressed, angry or alone when you experience a loss of vision, and there will probably be times when you wish you had someone to help you work through these feelings. If you’re struggling to overcome the emotional challenges of vision loss, we’re here for you.
Join a CNIB support group and receive emotional support from other people who understand the impact of vision loss on everyday life.
Call the toll-free CNIB Helpline at 1-800-563-2642 and get immediate, confidential telephone support. Many of our Helpline staff are blind or partially sighted themselves, and all are trained to assist you in accessing programs and services to help meet your needs.
Join our Vision Mate program and connect with a caring volunteer who’s trained to provide assistance.
Access counselling services through CNIB or recommended community resources.
Learn about opportunities to take part in leisure, recreation and social programs in your community.
The Adjustment to Vision Loss Program (AVL) provides information and support for people who are experiencing vision loss. This group session meets weekly over a period of seven to eight weeks to learn about CNIB services and share experiences with others in a similar situation. There is a positive focus of building on strengths and finding solutions to successfully strategize and cope with the challenges of vision loss. Programs are offered in face-to-face group sessions, via the telephone or online.
For Information regarding upcoming sessions, please contact Robert Ganong at 902-453-1480, ext. 5705 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Low vision services
Make the most of the sight you have
If you’ve experienced a partial loss of vision, learning to maximize your remaining sight can be life-changing. Our low vision specialists can help you make the most of your sight, and live life to the fullest.
- Receive a specialized vision assessment designed specifically for people with low vision, and have our specialists explain the effects of your vision loss in easy-to-understand language.
- Learn tips and tricks for maximizing your sight, like how to use lighting and contrast to your best advantage.
- Receive one-on-one instruction in the use of helpful devices that may enhance your sight, like specialty magnifiers.
Independent living services
Build everyday skills and confidence
Our specialists will work with you one-on-one or in a group setting, helping you build the skills to live independently and lead the life you want.
- Learn safe methods of pouring a cup of coffee, preparing a meal and using household appliances.
- Discover simple techniques for identifying money, using the phone, labelling medications and organizing household items.
- Learn how to make large-print, braille and audio products a helpful part of your day-to-day life – enabling you to keep track of phone numbers, recipes and more.
- Find out about community programs, financial subsidies and other helpful resources available in your local area.
Independent travel instruction
Travel with confidence
Learning to travel alone with vision loss doesn’t have to be scary; in fact, it can be a liberating experience, and our caring specialists will be there every step of the way. So whether you want to reach the corner store or the farthest corners of the country, we’ll help you build the skills to get there.
- Learn the sighted guide technique: a safe and comfortable way to walk with a sighted person.
- Discover how a white cane makes travelling with vision loss easier and safer.
- Learn how to find and cross intersections so you can travel independently. Ride public transit with confidence and reach community resources like your local grocery store, bank or shopping mall.
- Navigate new environments like a new workplace or school campus.
The CNIB Library
Rediscover the joys of reading
Home to more than 80,000 accessible materials in formats like braille and audio, the CNIB Library is Canada’s largest library for people who are unable to read traditional print. If you love reading, the CNIB Library is yours to explore.
- Find books and magazines in a variety of accessible formats; we’ll help you find the format that’s right for you.
- Download books and daily newspapers at the click of a button through our digital collection.
- Enjoy classic movies with our narrated video collection.
- Help your kids discover a love of reading with braille and printbraille books for children and teens, as well as our online Children’s Discovery Portal.
If you’d like help finding a book, movie or other library material, call 1-800-268-8818 or email email@example.com. Or click here to browse our digital collection now.
Assistive technology services
Discover a new world of cutting-edge products – from accessible audio book players, to video magnifiers, to computer screen readers and a host of other items to make life with vision loss easier.
- Receive an assessment and get recommendations from our experts on assistive technologies that meet your specific needs.
- Learn to use your assistive technologies, with instruction from a CNIB specialist who will help to make the process as simple as possible.
- Get the tools you need to do your best at work or school.
- Find out what financial supports you may be eligible to receive for the purchase of assistive products.
- Join a weekly networking group to discuss new technology and products while connecting with others who have similar interests.
Find helpful products for better living
Shop CNIB offers Canada’s largest array of products and technology for better living with vision loss. Here are just a few of the products you’ll find at Shop CNIB:
- Around the house: magnifiers of all kinds; talking watches, timers and scales; large-button phones; and colour identifiers
- Fun stuff: braille board games, tactile dice, TV magnifiers and large-print playing cards
- Out and about: white canes, pocket magnifiers, specialty sunglasses and talking pedometers
- At the office: high-contrast, large-print keyboards; braillers; signature guides; and talking calculators
Click here to browse the Shop CNIB online store.
Child and family services
Build a brighter future for your child
At every stage, CNIB is an essential resource for children and families living with vision loss – helping children who are blind or partially sighted grow into successful, confident adults. Our child and family services, offered in partnership with APSEA (Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority)
- Help teens prepare for their futures, explore their career interests and transition to post-secondary school.
- Give children the support they need to excel, like braille preparation, tactile learning sessions and peer programs.
- Provide parents with educational materials, peer groups, access to local resources, workshops on raising a child who is blind or partially sighted, and more.
- Empower families to advocate for improved educational opportunities for the welfare of their children.