Making a CRT

Financial planner meeting with a coupleWith a charitable remainder trust (CRT), you keep the benefit of an asset but transfer the formal ownership to CNIB – enabling you to enjoy your assets, but still make a difference in the live of Canadians with vision loss. 

To make a CRT, all you need is a good lawyer or financial advisor and a little help from CNIB. If you don’t have a lawyer or financial advisor, we can help you find one in your area. 

We can also help answer any questions you may have about making a CRT and prepare you to meet with your lawyer or financial advisor to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Contact us by calling us toll-free at 1-800-563-2642 or emailing​ and we’ll be happy to help you set up your CRT.

Things to consider before making a charitable remainder trust  

  • Once you’ve made a CRT, you cannot change or reverse it. Therefore, we recommend you seek independent financial advice before deciding to commit to this kind of gift. 
  • The process for accepting this kind of gift is complex. It may turn out – after investigation by your financial advisors and CNIB – that this gift is not the best choice for you. If that’s the case, you may want to consider other giving options, like making a gift in your will​ or a gift of property​
  • The size of the tax receipt you receive from your CRT is determined by several factors, like your age, payment schedule and whether you are male or female. We can give you more information about that when you give us a call.
  • It’s important to remember that you’ll need to use our full legal name when making a charitable remainder trust. Please use “The Canadian National Institute for the Blind” on all legal documents.  


The above information is not intended as legal or financial planning advice. When considering any planned gift, you should always consult your legal advisor, banker, financial planner or your family members.