CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
February 22, 2013
May 2013 to September 2013, 1 Position
Oversee the safety of the waterfront by ensuring all equipment is in working order. Supervise lifeguards and ensure all staff and campers are complying with safety procedures. Work with Assistant Waterfront Coordinators to ensure safety of the waterfront at all times.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Ensure all waterfront equipment and waterfront vehicles are accounted for and in good working condition on a daily basis and report any deficiencies to the Manager or Program Supervisor immediately.
- Manage and maintain daily waterfront and water vehicle records.
- Ensure all waterfront and boating programs are ready at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the programs.
- Establish and enforce safety procedures among staff, volunteers and guests.
- Maintain constant vigilance on the waterfront, particularly lifeguard actions/roles as well as other staff and volunteers.
- Remove any unsafe lifeguards from their active duty and report their behaviors to Manager and/or Program Supervisor immediately.
- Provide clear direction to lifeguards, highlighting specific zone and duty coverage.
- Take an active role in pre-season and on going lifeguard and staff training for life guarding and non-life guarding staff.
- Ensure a positive role model at the waterfront and at camp site.
- Provide leadership and participate in the dining room duties.
- Participate in assigned evening programs.
- Maintain a positive host to guests in housing cabins and all camper cabins.
- Participate in all waterfront and non-waterfront training.
- Provide assistance and support to Assistant Coordinators.
- Work with Staffing Coordinator and Program Supervisor to continually build upon positive staff group dynamics.
- Assist and/or responsible for some programs when waterfront is closed.
- Coordinate programs during waterfront time, boat cruises, waterfront games, etc.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
- Must have current Waterfront NLS Certification, for duration of contract.
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” for duration of contract.
- Must have current Police Record Check.
- Must have Pleasure Craft Operator Certification.
- G-Class Driver’s License is an asset and current Driver’s Abstract if applicable.
- Related work experience in a leadership role.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to resolve conflict and take a lead role in emergency situations.
- Ability to work in a team setting and ability to independently.
- Ability to supervise and provide leadership to others.
- Experience in instructing and overseeing water safety is an asset.
- First Aid and Bronze Cross Instructor/Examiner an asset.
- Ability to follow all protocol during any waterfront emergency.
- Ability to train and use of rescue boat and paddle boards.
- Must be willing to meet and follow all uniform and attire guidelines.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment for long periods of time.
- Ability to work flexible hours as well as standard camp hours.
- Ability to work in a changing and busy environment.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Must reside at Lake Joseph Centre during operational season.
- Must be willing to share accommodations with other staff member.
Salary Range: As per salary scale.
Closing Date for Applications: Positions will be filled on an on going basis up to March 31, 2013.
Please Send The Application To: email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss