CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
Date: February 12, 2013
Job Title: Seniors Coordinator (2 positions)
Term: 3 year part-time contract, 23-28 hours per week
Location: Barrie and Newmarket, ON
One in three adults over the age of 65 will experience blindness or partial sight which is greater than their odds of being diagnosed with cancer. Recognizing the unique needs of seniors, we are looking for two Seniors Coordinators to act as a resource to staff and volunteers in support of all programs and services that involve seniors within the Simcoe-Muskoka and York regions.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
Working closely with the Regional Manager, the Coordinator of Volunteer Services, other CNIB specialists and CNIB volunteers, the Seniors Coordinators will:
· Develop and facilitate the training curriculum for Vision Mate volunteers who are matched with seniors living with vision loss.
· Create a train-the-trainer manual that can be utilized by leadership volunteers and staff for future Vision Mate training.
· Monitor and provide ongoing supervision, training and education of Vision Mate volunteers.
· Develop a peer support program that will provide support to caregivers and families who are caring for seniors with vision loss.
· Provide training and ongoing supervision to the volunteers who will facilitate the specialized caregiver program.
· Organize an annual Seniors Summit.
· Assist with the entry of required client documentation in CNIB’s client management system as well as other required statistical data.
· Liaise with community organizations to promote their awareness of CNIB’s services and to educate other health care providers on how best to work with seniors with vision loss.
· Develop an evaluation strategy for the Vision Mate, peer support, caregiver support and annual Seniors Summit.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Strong social service or health care background, preferably with geriatric training.
· Experience working with and an understanding of the needs of seniors.
· Passion for working with and promoting the independence of seniors.
· Familiarity and comfort working with people with disabilities and an understanding of their needs and concerns. Willingness to learn about the unique needs and abilities of seniors living with vision loss.
· Experience working with and an understanding of the needs of caregivers and family members who care for seniors with vision loss.
· Previous experience in volunteer engagement and retention.
· Strong project management skills.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
· Proficient in use of computers, including MS Office and database programs.
· Willingness to travel throughout the region.
· In addition to English, fluency in a second language an asset.
· Ability to work flexible hours and occasional weekends.
Closing Date for Applications: March 8, 2013
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss