CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
November 18, 2013
Ophthalmic Assistant (Attention: Nurses and RPNs)
One year contract, possibility of renewal
Sudbury ON and throughout Northern Ontario
Conducts the day-to-day operation of Ontario Medical Mobile Eye Care Unit throughout Northern Ontario and assists the Manager in making preparations for the unit's operation.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Drives Eye Van truck and trailer and sets up unit in each community on Eye Van tour. Prepares unit for clinics, including daily cleaning of van, and sterilizing of medical equipment as required.
· Greets patients to Eye Van, conducts preliminary screening, and documents patient history as per Eye Van procedures. Includes vision testing, instillation of eye drops, use of Lensometer and Tonometer, health teaching and other procedures designated by ophthalmologist.
· Assists with identifying and referring people with diabetes to diabetes specialist teams in Northern Ontario.
· Participates in public relations activities including liaising with local service clubs, volunteers, general public, local media, health and medical personnel.
· Trains new volunteers and provides orientation for new ophthalmologists to the program and community.
· Operates OHIP computer software to prepare and submit billing diskette by submission deadline. Produces and submits reports to Manager, including statistical data. Backs up computer daily, and submits weekly back-ups to Manager.
· Completes expense reports and time sheets and submits to Manager each week.
· Ensures truck and trailer are cleaned regularly. Follows maintenance schedule and raises maintenance concerns with Manager to ensure unit is in good mechanical order.
· Works with service technician(s) to maintain ophthalmic equipment and instruments.
· Maintains inventory of unit, including ordering of office, medical and pharmaceutical supplies, and updating computer records as required.
· Assists Manager in preparing for unit's operation through various duties including evaluation and setting of tour, contacting communities, collating and distributing correspondence.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Registered Nurse, Registered Practical Nurse, Ophthalmic Technician, Technologist or Assistant or equivalent background/experience
· Valid driver's license and driver’s abstract required.
· Class AZ driver's license required and raining will be provided at no cost.
Closing Date for Applications: December 20, 2013
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss