CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
February 22, 2013
Lifeguard (NLS) Instructor Counsellor
May 2013 to September 2013 and June 2013 to September 2013
To provide a safe recreational opportunity for guests (adults, families, children and youth) attending the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre through creative planning, energetic implementation and evaluation of all assigned programs.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Plan, implement and evaluate recreation programs. Arrive 15 minutes prior to assigned program.
· Ability to actively lifeguard as well as participate in and lead other camp activities as assigned.
· Uphold all standards and policies of the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre, with particular care given to customer service.
· Provide new and creative ideas with respect to scheduling, programs, and service delivery.
· Take an active role in all dining room duties and responsibilities.
· Take an active roll in all duties pertaining to change over day.
· Accept responsibility for on-going care and maintenance of assigned unit and its occupants.
· Provide support, guidance, and leadership to volunteers and leaders in training.
· Participate in general staff meetings and all ongoing and pre-camp training.
· Work as a team member taking on other areas of responsibilities as need arises.
· Work on individual assignments as needed.
· Provide swimming lessons/stroke improvement sessions during designated session.
· Adhere to all Lifesaving Society regulations for swim instruction with scheduled groups.
· Follow the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre instructor and waterfront procedures.
· Help develop and improve current lesson plans and program development of the swim instructor program.
· Work within the CNIB Lake Jo and Lifesaving Society guidelines for these programs.
· Provide progress reports for campers/guests who have participated in this program.
· Lifeguard at waterfront and for boating activities with vigor and diligence.
· Ensures that all CNIB waterfront, health & safety, OCA, Lifesaving Society and NLS standards are met at all times.
· Attend all lifeguard and waterfront training, pre-camp, on going and at the request of the Waterfront Coordinator or Management team.
· Understand and be sensitive to the unique and safety considerations that need to be taken when working with a special population.
· Provide assistance to all guests/staff and ensure their safety at all times.
· Provide energetic and enthusiastic support to all programs assigned.
· Provide lifeguard duties in a vigor and diligence manner at waterfront and boating activities at all times.
· Ensure the safety of guests and other staff members on the water and during boating activities.
· Be respectful and courteous at all times.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Experience and interest in recreation programming in a camp setting.
· Must provide a current Police Record Check before first day of training.
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” for the duration of your contract.
· Current NLS Certification required for the duration of your contract.
· Current Waterfront NLS is an asset.
· Current Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor Certification.
· PCO (Pleasure Craft Operator) Card.
· ORCA/ORKA Certification is an asset.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Good communication and interpersonal skills.
· Must be 18 years or older by the first date of contract.
· Experience working with people with vision loss or deaf-blind (children, teens and adults) is an asset.
· Ability to work flexible hours as well as standard camp hours.
· Ability to work in a changing and busy environment.
· Must reside at Lake Joseph Centre during operational season.
· Must be willing to share accommodations with other staff member.
Salary Range: As per salary scale.
Closing Date for Applications: Positions will be filled on an on going basis up to March 31, 2013.
Please Send The Application To: email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss