CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
November 25, 2013
Land Program & Volunteer Coordinator - 1 position
May 2014 to September 2014
To provide leadership in assisting, planning and leading of land programs (day and evening programs) at Lake Joseph Centre as well as to connect with and provide guidance to Lake Joseph Centre volunteers. To communicate and provide for clear and concise messages to all attending guests, volunteers and staff. To supervise staff and volunteers to ensure high quality programs are provided at the centre.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Supervise, coach, support and develop land staff and volunteers;
· Promote clear communication to all guests, staff and volunteers;
· Communicate and update staff, volunteers and guest of any changes to the programs;
· Ensure all equipment and supplies are in good working condition and that there are appropriate supplies for the planned activities;
· Train and build upon land staff and their program knowledge;
· Work with staff and volunteers to make continuous improvements on the centers communication system;
· Assist with the maintenance of attendee list and tracking attendance for all programs;
· Promote and encourage participation in ongoing recreation programs through endorsement of activities to guests;
· Ensure that all feedback from all programs are recorded and reported to Manager/Program Supervisor;
· Assist with recruitment and preparation of weekly volunteers;
· Ensure warm welcome for all volunteers;
· Facilitate site tours, program descriptions, and role expectations of volunteers upon arrival;
· Ensure that all staff/volunteers participating in the camp programs understand their role before, during and after the program;
· Facilitate volunteer appreciation recognition following term;
· Participate in all pre-season and on going staff meetings and trainings;
· Implement training needs for staff and volunteers;
· Ensure land programs start on time and all required supplies are ready before the guests arrive;
· Work with Program Supervisor & Program Assistant to ensure performance reviews for staff/volunteer are completed in timely manner;
· Work with Program Assistant and Program Supervisor to continually improve Group Dynamics;
· Participate in the coordination of all dining room duties and responsibilities;
· Participate in all required change over duties;
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership and problem solving skills.
- Mature and professional attitude.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Good command of relevant computer applications and office experience is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in recreation programs and settings.
- People management and supervision.
- Ability to work in a team setting and ability to work alone.
- Experience and ability to coach and mentor others.
- Experience and an interest in volunteer recruitment and facilitation.
- Must have current Police Record Check.
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”.
- Current Bronze Cross/NLS is an asset.
- Experience working with people with vision loss or deaf-blind (children, teens and adults) is an asset.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of management practices, principles, and facilities administration.
- Ability to plan and coordinate trips and transportation.
- Ability to work flexible hours as well as standard camp hours.
- Ability to work in a changing and busy environment.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Must reside at Lake Joseph Centre during operational season.
- Must be willing to share accommodations with other staff member.
Closing Date for Applications: Position will be filled on an on going basis up to March 31, 2014.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss