CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
June 12, 2013
Intern, Event Fundraising
Full time, contract
This exciting position, ideal for a recent graduate or senior student in an Event Fundraising, Event Management or Hospitality course, will gain valuable work experience through meaningful contributions to the inaugural implementation of two exciting new signature events called Night Steps. For more information about these events please visit:
Reporting to the Director, Fund Development - Community Giving and working closely with the National Director, Sales Promotion and Event Fundraising, and the Manager, Event Fundraising, the Intern, Event Fundraising will work with volunteers to help recruit, manage, and motivate participants, solicit and assemble participant gift bags, and track participant revenue to maximize income and ensure the success of these events.
Covering a broad range of duties, the Intern will be expected to apply their knowledge, experience, business planning, volunteer management and project management skills to meaningfully assist in the execution of engaging events that meet the national guidelines and standards.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Assist in the management of necessary aspects of organizing, promoting and delivering large-scale signature fundraising events in a specific region. This can include, but is not limited, to securing participant recruitment, soliciting gifts in kind, working on event logistics, sourcing give aways, working with volunteers, liaising with vendors and overall event execution.
· Ensure adherence to event critical paths, meet national guidelines and standards, and work towards the achievement of agreed targets; submit regular reports to deadline as requested.
· Support training and management of event-day volunteers.
· Assist with provincial print material production using national templates, and ensure their distribution in the community to maximize participation, sponsorship recognition and volunteer recruitment.
· Conduct analysis and evaluation of events to ensure high returns on investment, and participation/partnerships are maximized and meet established goals.
· Play an active part in a professional events team, contributing to the ongoing development of the team and an exciting portfolio of events.
· Assist with the recognition and stewardship of donors and all gifts received in a timely manner.
· Ensure appropriate administration of donor and event information in the donor database and, where appropriate, supply reports and analyses to the Director, Fund Development - Community Giving.
· Process expenses and event reports in a timely manner.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Current or recently completed post-secondary education in fundraising, event management, hospitality, marketing, communications, public relations or related program
· Fund development and pledge based events experience considered an asset
· Experience in supporting volunteer engagement
· Valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle during regular business hours essential
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills with meticulous attention to detail
· Excellent communication skills; comfortable conversing with a variety of people in different situations
· Ability to prioritize a varied workload and comfortable working in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
· Knowledge of privacy legislation and ability to conduct business in accordance with the CFRE/AFP/CAGP code of ethics
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications as well as other software applications such as CRM (familiarity with Raiser’s Edge software a plus)
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships with senior volunteers
· Resourceful, results-oriented with a positive, "can do" attitude
· Willingness to work flexible hours; some evening and weekend work is required
· Willingness to travel
· Desire to be a passionate advocate for CNIB and those we serve
Closing Date for Applications: June 17, 2013
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss