CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
April 3, 2013
Database Administrator – ETL Specialist
As a member of a team of SQL database administrators this position’s primary responsibilities are to:
- Support the querying and reporting needs of the organization by providing accurate data extracts from production and data warehouse repositories
- Help design, implement and support the CNIB’s efforts to move towards more effective data warehousing and business intelligence practices
The position has secondary responsibilities to provide coverage for other DBA duties within the IS department, including but not limited to administration and maintenance of the database technologies.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Assist in the ongoing development of technical best practices for data movement, data quality, data cleansing and other ETL-related activities
- Provide technical knowledge of Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) solutions for Business Intelligence projects
- Provide mission critical extraction and transformation of business data to support the financial and service driven needs of the organization.
- Facilitate the development and support of data warehousing and business intelligence initiatives
- Import and export routines to bring data in from third party sources or facilitate the exporting of data from CNIB systems for third party processing
- Create complex analytic queries, stored procedures, triggers and functions on large data sets
- Generate code to extract, transform and load data from production data sources to data warehouse
- Provide documentation on all administration, development and reporting efforts to support the long term organizational knowledge base
- Supports other DBA Developers primary responsibilities as a backup DBA Developer to mitigate resourcing risks
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant systems by means of self-study and formal training
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
- Post-Secondary education in a recognized technical discipline combined with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in an Enterprise IT role
- 5 years’ experience in Enterprise Data Extraction using ETL tools
- 2 years’ experience in the administration of OLTP and OLAP Database systems
- 5 years’ experience in Database or Application Development
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Consultative experience and asset
- Relevant Microsoft Certification an asset
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and asset
- Experience in Marketing and Fund Development environments an asset
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint and BI dashboards an asset
- Sophisticated Data Query Skills and Database Development expertise
- Knowledge of Database Server Systems administration (MSSQL)
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with the following platforms:
- Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Reporting Services (2005 and higher)
- Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel
- In-depth knowledge of Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence concepts and best practices, including expertise with SSIS Packages
- This position requires an 8 hour work day in a centralized office
- Must be able to participate in after hours or weekend tasks from time to time
- Occasional travel may be required for professional development, seminars or other information sessions
Closing Date for Applications: April 19, 2013
Please Send The Application To: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss