Founded in 1918, CNIB is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected charities. For 96 years, the organization has been Canada’s primary source of support for people who are blind or partially sighted, providing crucial vision loss rehabilitation services to thousands of Canadians each day.
With a dedicated team of more than 800 staff members and 10,000 volunteers across the country, the CNIB is proud to be there, every step of the way, for people who are blind or partially sighted and their families, from the crucial early childhood years through adulthood and into the autumn of life. We also work diligently to increase public understanding of vision health, and to advocate proudly for an inclusive society where no citizen is left behind, regardless of vision loss.
The CNIB has ambitious goals for the future. Through our new strategic plan, CNIB is working to ensure that every Canadian who is blind or partially sighted has access to the full range of services they need to increase their independence and have more control over their own lives.
March 4, 2014
Assistant, Vision Rehabilitation
1 year contract, 21 hours per week. Internal secondments are welcome.
Thunder Bay, ON
This position is responsible for completing a broad range of responsibilities and duties that will enhance the provision of rehabilitative services to clients throughout northern Ontario. Primary responsibilities include assisting rehabilitation specialists in the areas of Independent Living, Low Vision, Orientation & Mobility, and Assistive Technology as well as providing driving and guiding assistance for staff that are blind or partially sighted.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Responds to referrals as determined through a consultative process with rehabilitation specialists.
· Assists with the implementation of client service plans as developed by rehabilitation specialists.
· Assists in teaching adaptive skills for independent living, in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills utilizing vision enhancement tools, basic keyboarding and technology training.
· Provides follow-up support to clients who have completed assessment process with rehabilitation specialists.
· Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources (i.e. leisure programs, acquisition of adaptive equipment, etc.).
· Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
· Drives staff who are blind or partially sighted and provides support and orientation at destination.
· Provides support to clients and demonstrates consumer products and low vision aids.
· Collaborates with rehabilitation team in service delivery, travel scheduling and program development.
· Provides consultation, public education, and in-service training.
· Provides transportation for clients, volunteers, and assists with other deliveries as directed by CNIB.
· Ensures safety and maintenance of CNIB vehicles and completes the necessary paperwork required; maintains emergency kits for the vehicle.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Post-secondary education and/or prior experience in related field preferred.
· Previous working/volunteering experience working with individuals who are blind or partially sighted or a combined loss of hearing and sight.
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to adapt to changing situations.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
· Possesses strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
· Demonstrates sensitivity when working with persons who are blind or partially sighted.
· Demonstrates strong ethical behaviours and ability in maintaining confidentiality.
· Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
· Possesses a mature and professional demeanor.
· Excellent driving and navigation skills.
· Skilled in Microsoft software applications and ability to effectively care for computer hardware, and learn various applications as applicable for the position.
· Solid understanding of vehicle servicing and maintenance requirements.
Closing Date for Applications: March 21, 2014
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss