CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
Date: December 5, 2012
Job Title: Specialist, Low Vision
Location: St. John’s, NL
In covering a broad range of duties this position performs Functional Low Vision Assessments, which include education regarding vision related topics; training in the use of low vision devices; and instruction on how to maximize residual vision.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Conducts functional low vision assessments.
· Teaches individuals with partial sight how to maximize residual vision.
· Recommends and trains in the use of optical and non-optical aids.
· Educates individuals about their eye condition and vision health.
· Refers individuals to other internal and external services.
· Handles public inquiries regarding vision health and low vision services
· Conducts research on new optical aids, adaptive equipment, and new findings in the eye care field. Attends professional development training and conferences as required.
· Delivers public speaking seminars and workshops on low vision services and related topics to community agencies/groups and health care professionals.
· Completes ICD9 coding and interprets medical information.
· Performs administrative duties, including, but not limited to, service tracking, benchmarking, documentation of assessments/client contact, and applicable subsidy program as appropriate.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Diploma/degree or equivalent experience in vision health related care – e.g. nurse; Ophthalmic Assistant, Low Vision Therapist; Orthoptist.
· Good command of relevant computer applications.
· Excellent verbal, written and math skills.
NOTE: CNIB Low Vision Specialists are provided with additional on the job training curriculum at no cost, and are expected to meet the requirements of the CNIB National Low Vision Specialist Training Program.
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Closing Date for Applications: December 19, 2012
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position. Although we thank you for your interest, we would appreciate no phone calls please.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss